Cisco Data Center
Why Cisco for Data Center Solution
Cisco Unified Data Center changes the economics of the data center by unifying compute, storage, networking, virtualization, and management into a single platform. The result is operational simplicity and business agility - essential for cloud computing and deploying IT as a service.
Concept Behind Cisco Solution
Cisco Unified Fabric:
Unified Fabric is a holistic network architecture comprising switching, security, and services that are designed for physical, virtual, and cloud environments. It uniquely integrates with servers, storage, and orchestration platforms for more efficient operations and greater scalability.
Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure
Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI) is a holistic architecture with centralized automation and policy-driven application profiles. ACI delivers software flexibility with the scalability of hardware performance.
ey characteristics of ACI include:
- - Simplified automation by an application-driven policy model.
- - Centralized visibility with real-time, application health monitoring.
- - Open software flexibility for DevOps teams and ecosystem partner integration.
- - Scalable performance and multitenancy in hardware.
An ACI-based network is deployed, monitored, and managed in a way that supports DevOps and rapid application change. ACI reduces complexity and offers a common policy framework to automate provisioning and managing of resources.
Simplify Virtual Application Deployments
Cisco Application Virtual Switch (AVS) is a hypervisor-resident virtual network switch that is specifically designed for the Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI) architecture. Based on the highly successful Cisco Nexus 1000V virtual switch, AVS provides feature support for the ACI application policy model, full switching capabilities, and more advanced telemetry features.
Compared to other hypervisor-based virtual switches, AVS provides cross-consistency in features, management, and control through Application Policy Infrastructure Controller (APIC), rather than through hypervisor-specific management stations. As a key component of the overall ACI framework, AVS allows for intelligent policy enforcement and optimal traffic steering for virtual applications.
Key features include:
- - A purpose-built, virtual network edge for ACI fabric architecture.
- - Integration with the ACI management and orchestration platform to automate virtual network provisioning and application services deployments.
- - High performance and throughput.
- - Integrated visibility of both physical and virtual workloads and network paths.
- - Open APIs to extend the software-based control and orchestration of the virtual network fabric.
The AVS offers:
- - Single point of management and control for both physical and virtual workloads and infrastructure.
- - Optimal traffic steering to application services.
- - Seamless workload mobility.
- - Support for all leading hypervisors with a consistent operational model across implementations for simplified operations in heterogeneous data centers.